Civil Rights in Black and Brown Video Series [Smith County Texas Emphasis]
A few years back, Texas Christian University conducted an oral history project known as “Civil Rights in Black and Brown” (CRBB), interviewing a number of people in Tyler and elsewhere in the state about their experiences in civil rights and race relations. This project has recently moved to a new project website hosted by University of North Texas.
During June 2015, a total of 13 interviews were conducted in Smith County. You can review all thirteen interviews by visiting Civil Rights in Black and Brown for Smith County Texas. Among those interviewed from Tyler were
- John Sims, Tyler Together Race Relations Forum Chairman Emeritus,
- Darrly Bowdre (Former Tyler City Councilman & TISD Board Member) ,
- Edward Moore (Tyler City Councilman) ,
- Andrew Melontree (1st Black Smith County Texas Commissioner),
- Gilbert Urbina (Local Hispanic Community Activist),
- Cedrick Grandberry (Local NAACP President) and
- Ernest Deckard (Former NAACP President) .
We have included John Simes’ interviews below to provide insight into the history of Tyler Together Race Relations Forum.